Blog #7: Service Learning

I am choosing to write this blog using Josh’s blog post. I thought he did a great job explaining the two different service learning project approaches. Josh makes the argument, “ I can't help but wonder if anything is really accomplished by the service learning project if the students aren't required to be involved in the community and developing actual relationships with those in need.” I couldn’t agree more. I think that Ms. Adams approach is appropriate for the restrictions of teaching a seventh grade classroom. The kids cannot go into the community to give service to the ones in need due to a lack of transportation. Having people come and talk to the students is a great idea to make up for their lack of communication with the community. However, I do not think it is as successful as Mr. Johnson’s approach. Mr. Johnson has his students working hand and hand in the community. They are able to build relationships with all sorts of people and learn through those relationships. This is a special way of learning. I would have to agree with Josh that most service learning will be accomplished by being involved in the community and developing actual relationships with those in need.
I’d like to bring this back to how our service learning project has affected me. This class could have been reading stats and having speakers come to discuss the diversity and struggle the kids in the providence school system have. I do think I would have truly understood the children in the Asa Messer kindergarten class if I just had to read about them through an article. I attend their class for just two hours a week and I have already learned so much about them and their struggle in school and at home. The act of working inside the community is so engaging and rewarding that I would have to agree it is a better way to tackle a service learning project.

Comments

  1. Emily, I loved your blog! Not only did I enjoy the fact that you mentioned my blog post, but I liked how you described your own personal view. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with you about needing the actual experience of being fully engaged in your service learning topic so you can understand it to the best of your ability that way it makes a genuine impact. I also enjoyed Josh's blog and do agree with being involved in your community and forming relationships with the people you are helping through the service learning topic. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with as well that the students need a hand on experience that helps be fully engaged with what you are learning.

      Delete
  3. Emily, I wrote something similar in my blog as well. There really is a different type of reward when you are putting yourself out there in the community and trying to make a difference. A little bit can go a long way. I really enjoyed reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily, I agree with your blog completely. Being able to actually go out into these classrooms and engage with the students in these communities is much more ideal than sitting in a classroom learning about it. It allows you to form actual relationships with these students, it is a truly rewarding experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so right. Reading about an experience is so far from living it, especially when it has to do with young children with strong characters and being of support to them. We can tell just by how the teachers are with their students that teaching is a hard job. The service learning project is the only way to understand what working with students is like before going into that field completely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with all of you. Engaging with students while learning is always better. Reading is good but hands on experience is always a better way to understand and improve yourself. You can apply the readings to the situation and see what works and what doesn't.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #8

Blog #1 Kristof