Blog #10

I've chosen to focus this blog off of Alex's blog. She did a great job finding quotes and making connections to those quotes. My favorite quote she choose was, "I started to notice that I didn't like the classes I was taking called special education. I had to go through special ed. almost all my life. I wanted to take other classes that interested me. I had never felt so mad, I wanted to cry." I thought this quote really showed the struggles that kids with Down syndrome face. They are forced to be put in a corner rather than have the freedom to succeed and evolve. 
Image result for down syndromeI also love how Alex pointed out when this article was written. I think the times is important to show the improvement we have made in the educational system since then. It may not be big but it is a step in the right direction. 
Lastly, I also love Alex's statement, "We are all human. Ones disability does not define them" This is such a raw statement. We are all human, we must treat others how we want to be treated. Our disabilities should not define us but rather prove that we are all unique in our own ways. 
All and all, teachers and peers need to aid in the learning of students with disabilities rather than hurt them. The best way to help a student is to give them a chance, all a student with down syndrome wants is a chance to succeed. 

Comments

  1. Emily, I really enjoyed reading your blog. I love your use of the technology, specifically the picture, to help develop a very positive outlook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Alex's blog post too and I completely agree with you about her connections and analysis to the quotes she chose. I really like how you chose which quote you liked the best and then analysed it even more. Also, the picture you chose is a great representation of the article. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a meaningful and compassionate response to the article. Students need to be taken seriously, treated with respect, and given unlimited opportunities regardless of their identity (race, class, gender, (dis)ability)...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the quote you chose to focus and feel as though it truly depicts the feelings of a child with a disability. Regardless of their disability, every child has their own interests and these children should be given more opportunities to take classes based on them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everyone the impact you and Alex made about this article was great and every child should be given opportunities to explore their own interest if they have disability or not.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #8

Blog #7: Service Learning

Blog #1 Kristof